Hi ! Announcing the New INDEX Tab

The new INDEX Tab on the above Home menu bar replaces the old Archive and Label widgets. Now readers will find it easier to find content on this Blog! Tell your friends if you find this new feature useful. Thank you for your support!

2012-06-18: Given 6 months to live in 1987- Still Alive Today

My brother Eric and Olive his wife sent me to NUH today for my medical appointment with Dr Ivan. AD had left on 20-May-12 for a Bangkok medical appointment. And to take care of her diabetic mom. She will return on my advice. As you may guess, neither Ethan nor I updated her on my situation. Ethan flew last Sunday to Jakarta to work on a project for a week. So I am all alone at home.

Meanwhile, my mobility took a turn for the worse. I was unable to walk without support. Last Sat and Sun my ankle, and subsequently knee, crumbled and I fell. Thank God I suffered only minor bruises.

I am thus very grateful Eric made time to fetch me for the NUH appointment today.

At NUH Dr Ivan explained the implications of the recent May 2012 MRI scan. Doctors at TTSH had briefed me on the scans on 22-05-12 following my desk drop. But they omitted the details.

Dr Ivan filled me in:

a.
Although the Feb 2012 scan was good, the May scan showed the cancer had started to spread after that. That was the reason I became so weakened I fell. The incident was reported in my Near Fatality post.

b. The good doctor didn't minced his words. The cancer had reached a critical part of the brain stem. He didn't advise any further RT as the last RT was in Nov 2011, barely 7 months ago. Moreover, it is very risky and could potentially kill vital regions of the stem. He suggested CT as an alternative. However the likelihood of shrinking the cancer tumor was 20% or less. Also the drug was extremely toxic, and I might be too frail to take it. There would be dangerous side-effects such as vomiting, drastic reduction of body immune levels, high fever, pain.

I plied him with many questions, some imponderable. He responded candidly in his usual clear, no-holds barred manner. Just like Dr Sam and Dr Amilyn. Which endeared them to me immensely because many doctors are reluctant to reveal details about the patient's condition.

c. So that's the Bad News:
no effective treatment, at best CT which has a low probability of success.

I felt glum. Nevertheless I felt thankful to the Lord who has already extended my "Last Call" several times in the past 2 years. Ever since I became a Christian in Dec 1968 my attitude has always been "Hope for the best, expect the worse." So whatever the outcome, my hope is always there. And that is line with scripture.

Dr Ivan arranged for Dr Daniel to see me on the CT later in the afternoon. Dr Daniel is also a Christian and of similar ilk as Dr Ivan. He patiently listened and took me at my word: mutual respect was abundantly present. "God's appointment, not mine," I uttered under my breath.

And then the unexpected, astounding event happened!

While waiting for a blood test, I sat beside a slim 50+ lady watching a TV cooking program. We began talking about food. And then out of the blue she mentioned she had cancer. Surprised, I then told her my condition. That prompted her to tell me more. "I suffered from adrenal cancer in 1983. There were 3 patients suffering from adrenal cancer. Two didn't make it. I am the only one alive today. It's by the grace of God." I shook her hands warmly. " I'm a Christian too, sister!" I uttered enthusiastically. She continued: "My adrenal cancer was not cured and 3-4 years later in 1987 the cancer had spread to the lung and stomach. My weight dropped to 35-38kg, I was all skin-and-bones. The doctors gave me 6 months to live."

"Depressed, miserable and frightened, I sought God. I accepted Jesus Christ when someone then shared the Gospel with me. My recovery began. I healed and recovered. "

"God really heals! It happened to me. I should have died in 1987. I am still alive today 18-Jun-12, only by God's grace!"  What a powerful testimony.

You know, folks, several friends and fellow Christians had shared similar stories of God's healing. But the stories didn't impact me much because they were third-person accounts (e.g. heard from someone at church, friends, etc). So I took those third-person stories as merely encouragement. But not hope.

Today however was the first time someone testified in person before me of her actual life experience. A rare first-person account of her cure from cancer! The Lord certainly knew my frame of mine. I needed to hear from a first-person account of God's healing. And the Almighty Lord arranged it. Coincidence? Definitely not. It was like God telling me: "Son, I know what you're going through. Don't give up hope. Whatever will be, will be. Pray in accordance with my Will for your life." Pray without ceasing, for this is the will of God for your life.

My gloom vanished and my heart was uplifted. Amazing, God is always there, loving and merciful when I needed him. Thank you Lord! It won't matter if what happened to the lady didn't happen to me. If it does it means God still has a purpose for me. If it didn't it means my new life has commenced. Christ has conquered Death. That's our legacy, our inheritance when I became a born-again Christian.

I am thankful Eric and Olive were with me to hear that testimony. Both became Christians and were baptized recently.

Oh, the lady was not 50+. She was 75 years old! Her name was Mdm TS Song. She brought her slightly senile younger sister for lung cancer treatment today. On my request Sister Song permitted me to share her testimony with others. She said she worshiped at Margaret Drive Anglican Church. She is not PC-literate so we couldn't maintain contact. Later on she asked to pray for me. I obliged warmly.

Bad news? No lah, it turned out to be Good News, an affirmation of God's grace and love for a simple fellow like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment